Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Thoughts and Our Rights

Civics is the branch of political science that deals with civic affairs and the rights and duties of citizens. One of the rights I believe in the most is freedom of speech. This is the right to express ideas and opinions through speech. It also, includes the right to listen and opinions of others. This freedom guarantees that Americans can openly express their thoughts and ideas. We can talk freely to friends and neighbors or deliver a speech in public to a group of people.

Also, you have the right to express opinions about the government and to criticize the actions of government officials. I think we’re lucky because some countries do not have the right to speak freely. However, people cannot use their right to freedom of speech to injure others people. We do not have the right to spread rumors about others.

With my great right of freedom of speech comes great responsibility. My responsibility is to speak my mind, but make sure I do it respectfully.
I must make my point clear, but at the same time, I must avoid hurting or putting others in harms way. There is also an appropriate time and place to speak your mind and opinions freely.

Now it’s your turn!


What is your opinion?
What is your freedom you believe in the most?
What do you think is our responsibility?
What do you believe freedom of speech is, what is your definition
?

8 comments:

  1. Chelsey,
    This is Rachel from the World Wide Workshop Foundation. Thank for your post! The freedom of speech is one of the great rights our country affords us-- and you are a talented writer, so your expression is very welcome! :)

    In answer to your questions, I have to agree with you that the First Amendment (freedom of speech, freedom of religion and freedom of the press) is the most cherished freedom we have. It is our responsibility to exercise our rights by staying informed, speaking our minds and protecting others' rights to do the same.

    I can't wait to see how you use this blog to express yourself as you think more about civics and rights.

    Your loyal reader,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels,

    I agree with you and Rachel. I am thankful for freedom of speech.

    Are you considering this as a topic for your game?

    Ms. Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chelsey -

    This is a great blog. I enjoyed reading it and discussing it with you and your classmates yesterday. It was great to meet you and I look forward to coming back up to your school soon. Keep doing great work!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont understand.....? well probably because i only read the first couple of words. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara learn how to read and you will understand! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. David,

    I enjoyed you coming here and talking to us. Thank you for complimenting my blog and my class.
    Be sure to bring the First Lady of WV when you come next time!LoL! It was nice meeting you too. Cant wait to hear some more interesting ideas from you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Rachel,

    Thank you for your response. It really made me happy to hear you say I'm a talented writer. I look forward to seeing you some day, hopefully. It would be nice talking to you and sharing some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dionne,

    Yes, I am thinking about using Freedom of Speech. You can look at my second Blog.

    ReplyDelete