Monday, October 12, 2009

Today, I am mad but not as mad as yesterday!

I feel my rights as a mother have been violated. I wanted to take my daughter to the doctor to get medical attention because she was sick, running a temperature of 101.9, and not eating. She was vomiting and had a runny nose. In my opinion, she was bad. Because I am in state’s custody and living in placement, I wasn’t allowed to get her the medical treatment that I wanted for her immediately. I have full custody over my daughter, and I have all her medical insurance. I have her certificate, her social security card, and her care link. I am not only her custodial parent because she is in my physical custody, but also she is in my legal custody. So, I have the ability to make the legal decisions for my child. “This can include education, religious up bringing,” and overseeing that my child has the best medical treatment.

I was advocating to staff and nursing about my daughter’s well being. I still did not and have not being able to take her to the doctor that I wanted to, so my mind could be at ease and I could get some sleep without having to be worried. I would feel better about getting my daughter the medical treatment that she needed, and I felt that no one was hearing me. Her temperature was not over 102. 5, so others believed she did not need medical attention. I was frustrated because at birth she died, but the doctors were able to bring her back to life, not once but twice. Her pediatrician told me to watch her very carefully, and if she ever got a temperature of 100 or above, I am to take her to the emergency room immediately. I was very upset because I do not want her to die again, especially over something that can be prevented. I feel that I am the mother, and it should be my decisions were she goes to see a doctor and my decision who the doctor is.

6 comments:

  1. I think this is a well written post. I am very interested to see your research on this topic. Have you considered writing a post that shows your research and sources so others can refer to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melonie,
    Thank you. No i havent,thats just th way i was feeling and what i think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chelsey. How are you doing? How is your daughter feeling now? I hope everything is all right.

    Sincerely,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey gurl i feel the same way but we can get through this cause we are awesome mothers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi David, how are you? It's been a while since i've logged on to my blog. She is doing really well and feeling much better. She just got the H1N1 flu shot a few days ago. Thank you for being concerned.

    Chelsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have the right.call your DHHR worker.Thats what i do.

    ReplyDelete